Like it or not, aging is a rite of passage that everyone goes through. With every birthday, we get wiser, but it also comes with a few more fine lines, or wrinkles. We've all met the lucky guy or gal who's in their 50's but looks 30. Are they just born with fountain of youth skin? Or do they know some secret that we don't? It turns out, there are some simple ways to prevent premature aging. No, I'm not talking about some $100 per bottle magic elixir. Here are some tips to get you started on the road to fabulous skin and looking good today and 10 years down the road!
1. Wear sunscreen and avoid tanning salons. UV rays are the number one cause of skin aging. Both UVA and UVB rays contribute to cell damage, protect yourself from both by wearing a natural non-toxic full-spectrum sunscreen. This means inside the car and in the winter too. And don't forget to apply on hands and necks, those are the most often overlooked spots for sunscreen, and first places to show signs of aging.
2. Don't smoke. It's proven beyond a shadow of doubt that smoking causes wrinkles, oh, and cancer and heart disease too. Nicotine causes narrowing of the blood vessels so skin is starved of oxygen and nutrients. Also the facial expressions when you smoke can contribute to wrinkles.
3. Sleep on a silk pillowcase. Believe it or not, the weight of your head resting on your face can worsen existing wrinkles. Since we spend about one third of our life sleeping, the damage can quickly add up. Pure silk pillows are smooth and breathable, therefore less likely to cause sleep creases. It's also gentler on hair too!
5. Handle gently. Excessive force and harsh chemicals during washing, drying, and application of creams can stretch delicate skin causing wrinkles and loss of elasticity. Splash your face with lukewarm water and a use a gentle no-toxin cleanser. Exfoliate once or twice a week with a clean wet cotton wash cloth or a soft particle face scrub. Avoid crushed walnut shell or apricot kernels, they are too harsh and can cause microtears. To dry, rest a dry cotton wash cloth on your face, do not wipe since wet skin is especially vulnerable to stretching. Also be sure to use your ring fingers to apply facial and eye creams to avoid using too much force.
6. Wear sunglasses with the best UV protection possible. Sunglasses not only protect delicate eye area from sun damage, prevent cataracts, they also cut down on squinting, which can lead to eye wrinkles as well. Be sure to pick a pair that blocks out at least 95% of UVA and UVB rays. Pick a wrap-around style for maximum coverage.
Do you want younger looking skin? Adopt these habits to slow and reverse the signs of aging! Do you have an anti-aging secret you want to share? Leave a comment below!
I selected this post to be featured on Healthy Living Blogs. Please visit the site and vote for my blog!